The calculated quantities
Modern technologies make it possible to equip data loggers with powerful processing tools to calculate the so-called “calculated quantities”. In fact sensors traditionally send to the data logger only raw data at predetermined intervals which form a dense sequence of instantaneous data. Environmental monitoring however often needs to quickly synthesize the numerous data available in indexes of rapid and effective interpretation: the calculated quantities.
A powerful and versatile environmental data logger, therefore, not only collects, stores and transmits the data received from the various sensors connected, but also processes some useful calculated quantities on board. The data loggers are therefore designed to be able to carry out these calculations and transmit the results directly, while applying data validation rules.
Why choosing an environmental data logger with on-board calculation capabilities?
The advantages of having quantities calculated directly by the data logger are different, among them:
- The quantities are immediately available even on devices unsuitable for calculation, such as mobile devices, or published directly on the web;
- By setting rules and appropriate thresholds, the calculated quantities can be used to issue alarm messages directly from the data logger, avoiding delays or malfunctions;
- the ability to receive the processed data directly, even on mobile devices, allows the user to check the monitoring campaign in real time and download the data already processed on their PC.
Calculations for every need: from the microclimate to the decay time of SARS-CoV-2
The powerful environmental data loggers of LSI LASTEM allow the processing of numerous calculated quantities, a library that is continuously expanding to meet the growing needs of customers. They allow, in addition to basic mathematical calculations, the processing of specialized calculated quantities:
- calculation of microclimate indices, WBGT and others dedicated to the evaluation of indoor environments for safety in the workplace or for energy efficiency interventions;
- calculations such as wind chill or UV index required in meteorological applications;
- natural estimated decay time of SARS-CoV-2 on surfaces (stainless steel and ABS plastic) in a range of temperatures and relative humidity (proposed by DHS and S&T, USA).
Alpha-Log for wind measurements in airports
The latest data logger model of the LSI LASTEM family, the powerful Alpha-Log, allows the on-board calculation of very specialized quantities. Just to name a few:
- Position of the sun: altitude and azimuth, according to “Astronomical Algorithms, Willmann-Bell, Inc., Richmond, VA” Book by Jean Meeus. This data is very useful for the correlation of the components of solar radiation and finds its applications in the management of photovoltaic systems and in solar thermodynamics;
- Barometric pressure (QNH ref. ICAO) (ISA eq. 7, CIMO, “CIMO / ET-Stand-1 / Doc. 10 (20.XI.2012)”) required for predictive meteorology activities;
- Crosswind, headwind and tailwind according to ICAO algorithms, intended for airport control systems.
One of the most useful features for users is the availability of quantities calculated directly by the environmental data logger. Indeed the quantities calculated by the environmental data loggers offer considerable advantages to users. These advantages are also enhanced by particularly high-performance operating systems, systems for reducing energy consumption and robust and reliable communication protocols.