The goal of the system is to adjust the mathematical model of weather forecasting and obtain detailed information about the conditions of pavements (runways, aircraft parking areas, roads system).
The airport maintenance departments, can now be informed on real time of weather conditions, concerning:
- Wind Speed and Direction
- Temperature and Relative Humidity
- Type of precipitation (rain, sleet, snow, hail , etc.).
- Rain intensity
Furthermore maintenance departments can better manage the cleaning vehicle fleet (salt spreaders, snowplow, chemical treatment units) with the following information:
- Snow level
- Surface and underground temperatures
- Road conditions (dry, wet, frozen)
- Height of Water Film
- Freezing Temperature Forecast (both active and passive method)
The complete supply includes 10 monitoring stations. Each station transmits its measurements to the airport control room (Directorate of Maintenance Operations) via fiber optic connections. Here, the operators will use a dedicated software for data display and will be warned upon the occurrence of critical preset events (specific weather and road conditions).