Heat Shield meter displays on-line WBGT indoor& outdoor index plus Heat Index and Humidex indexes. Furthermore, if ESV125 anemometer is connected, Heat Shield can calculate directly the PMV-PPD comfort index (ISO7730). Thanks to its built-in radio technology, Heat Shield can support up to two satellite units to assess analysis at different levels or in diffe-rent locations. It is possible to download the stored data using HS Manager PC program included with Heat Shield. From HS Manager it is also possible to export the data to GIDAS TEA program, used for further thermal environments analysis as Predicted Heat Strain (PHS), Insulation Required (IREQ). Duration Limit of the exposition (Dlim). GIDAS-TEA program will also allow in-depth analysis of WBGT, PMV and PPD indexes (read Gidas-TEA catalogue MW9006-ENG-06).
Portable wireless WBGT meter – Heat Shield
Compact solution for measuring the main comfort and thermal stress indices
Portable wireless WBGT meter - Heat Shield
- Quick, real-time, reliable and accurate assessment of indoor and outdoor heat stress WBGT index (ISO7243);
- Real-time assessment of the thermal comfort PMV- PPD index (ISO7730);
- Verification probe for assessment of the system calibration;
- Built-in radio technology for simultaneous, wireless monitoring in different locations/heights;
- Rated IP54 to withstand harsh environmental conditions;
- 8 MB memory for extended data logging;
- Battery Life: 200h (with radio on 20h);
- Automatic start/stop of measurements;
- Design and performances according to ISO7243 and ISO7726;
- HS Manager program included for data downloading, data assesment and data reporting;
- Data export to TEA software for additional features, including additional index calculation as: Predicted Heat Strain (PHS-ISO7923), Required Clo-thing Insulation (IREQ-ISO11079) index.
Heat Shield is equipped with built-in sensors to measure:
- globe temperature (tg);
- wet bulb temperature (tnw);
- dry bulb temperature (ta);
- relative humidity (rh);
- air speed (va) (external, optional).
Heat Shield supports both 15 cm (6”) and 5 cm (2”) black glo-bes thermometers diameters.
Heat Shield calculates on-line and displays the following indexes:
- WBGT indoor & outdoor index (ISO7243). Up to 3 locations simultaneously when Satellite units are used;
- Head-Torso-Ankle Weighted Average WBGT (ISO7243) (when Sa-tellite units are used;
- Heat index According to 1990 National Weather Service (NWS) Technical Attachment (SR 90-23);
- Humidex According to J.M. Masterton and F.A. Richardson of Canada’s Atmospheric Environment Service equation (1979);
- PMV-PPD (ISO7730) comfort index. Only when ESV125 anemometer sensor is connected. Metabolism (Met), Cloth (Clo) and Mechanical ratio (ETA) values are required for the subject under evaluation.
Once data are downloaded to a PC, LSI Lastem suggests two software applications:
1) Using GIDAS TEA (optional) will be possible perform easy and quick creation of reports based on any available ISO index:
- PMV-PPD index, TO Operative Temperature index (ISO7730) (requires BSZ313 PC module;
- PHS Predicted Heat Strain (ISO7933) (requires BSZ317 PC module;
- IREQ Insulation Required, Duration Limit of the exposition (ISO11079) (requires BSZ313 PC module).
2) Using HS Manager (included) will be possible to perform analysis of the results of Heat Shield and to evaluate working limits.
Three measurement positions using satellite modules
Heat Shield can be supplied as a single base unit or with additional two wireless satellite modules (ELR610S, ELR615S). The satellite units are used to measure environmental conditions at three positions or levels and calculate Head-Torso-Ankle Weighted Average WBGT as required by the ISO 7243. Heat Shield radio can cover up to 300 m in line-of-sight distance, in indoors conditions it may vary.
Verification probe (EST100)
Using the high accuracy temperature probe connected to Heat Shield Base unit, it is possible to check if the measurements coming from the Heat Shield Base and Satellite modules sensors (Ta, Tg, Tnw) are within the accuracy requirements by the ISO7043 standard. This procedure assesses the whole measurement chain from Heat Shield electronic part to the sensitive elements response. This operation can be done before each measurement.
Easy to operate
Heat Shield Heat Shield is very stable when placed on any horizontal surface but it can be also held in hand or mounted on standard photographic tripod. With its on-and-play philosophy, measurements can be displayed in just a few instants from power on. No configuration is required by PC. Rechargeable batteries assure up to 200 hrs of measurement (20 hrs when using wireless Satellites).
Memory and measurement time rates
Heat Shield has 8 Mb memory to store measurements and calculations performed during every survey. Acquisition rate is 10 s for all the acquired and calculated measurements, except for Va (anemometer) which is sampled every 1 s. Recording rate is 60 s average for all the quantities.
Portable wireless WBGT meter - Heat Shield